Many may not have noticed it since it’s summer in the northern hemisphere but at least formally the 2018/2019 ice hockey season has started on 1st July. And this brings with it a new IIHF Rule Book valid for the next four years.
The 2018-2022 IIHF Rule Book was approved at the last congresses and became valid on Sunday.
Here are some of the major rule changes:
Click here to download the new 2018-2022 IIHF Rule Book.
- Goal crease in IIHF competitions will be changed to match National Hockey League specifications
- Team staff will be permitted use of electronic tablets on the bench for statistical and tagging purposes
- Relaxed rules for goals scored when the net frame is displaced. As long as the posts are at least partially on the pegs then a goal will count if the puck crosses the goal line
- Video goal review criteria will include goaltender interference
- Goaltenders will be penalized for covering a puck in certain cases where they are able to play it
- A late hit to a skater who is in a vulnerable position because of not being in control or possession of the puck anymore will be sanctioned with a minor or major penalty
- A bodycheck before the opponent has received the puck will be sanctioned with a penalty for interference
- Revised definitions for injury classification